A Web Scripting Virus aims at exploiting browser vulnerabilities and works by breaching your browser security with a client code script. It is one of the most common and widespread viruses that mainly spread with the help of infected webpage ads and pop-ups.
Web scripting viruses can bypass the security walls of your device, make changes in your registry, modify your browser page, steal confidential data, and make your device slow and sluggish. Popular social networking sites are its main targets. This malicious virus can spread at a lightning speed and has the potential to send spam mail, victimize users, and damage data.
Types of Web-Scripting Virus
There are two types of Web-Scripting Virus
- Non-Persistent: This means that the attack takes place without your knowledge.
- Persistent: This happens when the attacker attacks your device by stealing your cookies. In a Persistent attack, the attacker can cause a lot of system damage by impersonating you.
Interesting Facts About A Web-Scripting Virus
- The propagation methods used by a web-scripting virus to spread is a system and network vulnerabilities.
- It is usually present in multiple social media sites, popular chat-rooms, and message boards.
- It also has the capacity to generate web-based Botnets and carry on DDoS attacks.
How To Protect Your Device Against Web-Scripting Virus?
This virus usually gets triggered with a user’s actions, like clicking on infected ads, opening spam email attachments, visiting compromised websites, etc. Hence, the best way to defend your device is by following certain hygiene rules like:
- Be very cautious when accessing the highly vulnerable internet spectrum.
- Don’t open emails coming from suspicious and unknown sources.
- Avoid visiting third party websites.
- Only use official websites for downloading software.
- Do not click on ads that keep popping up on your browser window.
In addition to this security experts also recommend the use of powerful antivirus software, that will scan your device for the malicious virus but also ensures complete system security. In addition to this, it also scans and prevents you from visiting any infected sites and provides real-time protection.
You can also opt to use an efficient Ad-blocker tool that will keep all unwanted and compromised ads and pop-up banners away from your browser window.