As a Spotify Free user, you might feel like you want to block Spotify ads. This could be because they can be annoying, and this is understandable.
Still, the fact that you have access to premium music, needs to be paid, somehow. Moreover, you should think if it’s worth it, and even if it is legal.
Should you block Spotify Ads?
Your first emotional answer might be “Yes!”, as you are annoyed when your favorite songs are interrupted by ads. You just want to listen to your music in peace, with no interruptions, right?
Or, you might think that the premium version of the service might be too costly for you.
Remember that, in this case, you always have the choice to choose the paid version. If you think about the differences, here they are:
- With the free version, you listen to music at a lower quality (96 – 160 kilobits/s), while the premium version allows you to change it to 320 Kbps.
- The free version only allows you to listen to music online. The paid one offers you the option to download up to 10,000 songs to listen to anytime.
- With the free version, you can only listen to music in shuffle mode. This restriction does not apply if you use a laptop or a tablet. Nevertheless, with the premium version you can choose your favorite songs or playlists, no matter the device.
- The unpaid option offers you only six skips per hour, while the Premium one allows you to skip, repeat, or go back as many times as you want.
- The last one is about the ability to play entire albums. This is not possible in the free version, but only on the premium one.
Now, that you know the main pros and cons, you can make an informed decision.
How do ads work on this service?
All the ads that you see while using the free version can be blocked, of course. There are tools that let you do this.
Reputable ad blockers are able to stop audio ads on your devices. Once you download, and install the app, you can log in, and turn it on.
Then, you can open Spotify and start playing music. The program will prevent ads from interrupting your listening.
Of course, this is not the only option. A VPN which includes an ad-blocker is also a possibility. It will stop ads, and also hide your online activities. Moreover, it will give you access to music that is available only in certain regions of the world.
Here is a list of the best VPN services in 2023. You can choose the one that suits you best.
You can also use an app that reduces the volume of your device to zero when there are ads playing. Still, some of them request more permissions than necessary. So, think if it is worth blocking ads that use personal data, but give it to a developer for this.
Of course, if you are skillful, you can create a short open-source script for this.
So, you need to consider all these and make an informed decision before you block Spotify ads.