Drive-By-Download refers to the automated download of malicious and infected code to a user’s device by simply visiting a website. Its execution does not depend on clicking or opening an attachment, a simple visit can infect your device and gain unauthorized access to it. So, how can we protect ourselves against this?
Security Loopholes Exploited by Drive-By-Download Attacks
System vulnerabilities and security loopholes provide a ready platform for cyber attacks. Here are some of the common voids that are often exploited by hackers to by-pass the security walls of a system.
- Out-of-date browsers and plug-ins.
- Old Operating system including the early version of Windows.
- Applications like Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader.
- WinZip files.
- At times even the security applications are also prone to vulnerabilities.
So, these are some of the areas which are capitalized by hackers to spread drive-by-download’ attack.
How a Drive-by-Download’ Attacks a System?
Like any other malicious malware, drive-by-download also detects system vulnerabilities, by-pass the security walls, and infects the victim’s device. Here are some of the methods that are widely used by cybercriminals to execute digital attacks.
- Creating backdoors in victim’s devices that helps hackers to install more malware.
- Using keyloggers to record user’s keyboard activities.
- Deploying ransomware to lock data and ask for ransom payments for decrypting it.
- Making use of botnets to send spam emails and transmit malware to other devices and network spectrum.
Drive-by-download attacks are widely used by cybercriminals to exploit security voids and have become a serious concern for people. Thus we must take all the necessary precautions in our capacity.
Here are some preventive measures that everyone should exercise at individual levels.
- Regular System Updates: System updates are released from time-to-time to patch past security loopholes. Doing this will keep your device guarded against all cyber attacks.
- Use an Ad-Blocker: Infected ads and pop-up alerts are one of the major causes of drive-by-download attacks. Experts recommend that s good ad-blocker software will block all annoying and infected ads from appearing on your device.
- Get rid of obsolete and unnecessary applications and plug-ins: unwanted plug-in and obsolete applications are highly vulnerable to cyber attacks, thus getting rid of them is always a good idea to strengthen the security walls of your device.
- Use a powerful Security Software: Scan, detect, block, and delete malicious malware using a powerful and efficient security tool.
We hope that now you have a fair idea about drive-by-download attacks and their effects. Be proactive and follow the above mentioned preventive measures to shelter your computer and protect your sensitive data from cyber-attacks.