According to IT security specialists, Totallybet.xyz is an untrustworthy website that is designed to trick users into signing up for its browser notifications so that it can send deceptive pop-up advertisements directly to the web browser.
If you already subscribed to Totallybet.xyz pop-up ads, then we strongly recommend you unsubscribe from it immediately. Keep reading ahead to know how you can stop seeing unwanted ads from rogue websites such as this one on your desktop.
What is Totallybet.xyz?
As said above, this is a misleading web page that uses social engineering tricks (e.g., Clickbait technique) to fool unsuspecting visitors into registering for its push notifications.
More often than not, users do not visit addresses like Totallybet.xyz intentionally – they get opened or most users get redirected to them after some intrusive ad is clicked or by already installed potentially unwanted applications (PUAs).
Once visited, the website displays a ‘Confirm notifications’ prompt (e.g., “Allow website notifications,” “Please tap the Allow button to continue”) in order to get your permission to send browser notification spam to your desktop.
Whenever you come across any such prompts/ messages on websites you did not intend to visit, you are strongly advised to avoid clicking on the “Allow” button.
How to Remove Totallybet.xyz Pop-up Ads from Your Computer
Below are the detailed instructions on how to prevent dubious websites like Totallybet.xyz from sending undesirable pop-up ads to your desktop.
Note: Keep in mind that the steps shared below may vary slightly from browser to browser.
- Click on the three vertical dots (Chrome menu icon) on the right upper corner of the screen, and then select the Settings option.
- Scroll down to the “Privacy and security” section, and then click on the “Site settings” option.
- Then, choose the “Notifications” option available under the “Permissions” section.
- After that, look for the Totallybet.xyz site or other suspicious URLs in the Allow section, and then click the “Block” or “Remove” button.
In addition to this, we recommend following the below-mentioned security tips and safe web browsing practices to prevent hackers from breaching your system defenses.
- Install a powerful antivirus/ anti-malware on your computer system.
- Never open or run email attachments from unknown senders.
- Install system and other software updates as soon as they are released.
- Think twice before clicking on a link.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks.
- Take regular backup of all your important files to external storage devices (e.g., Pen drives).